Kega, historically and proudly reprensents a half century of existence in "The Gaspé". It is basically attributable to its original founder and entrepreneur J. Russell Keays. Throughout its existence, Kega has undergone changes in ownership, locations and even name. Although there were many changes, the ocmpany always retained it's excellent reputation and service
In 1955 Russell Keays founded South Bay Lumber(La Cie de Bois de Baie Sud). This was a building centre, supplying lumber, hardware and building supplies, and was located on what is now Montée Wakeham, just east of rue Boulay. From 1955 to 1965 South Bay Lumber operated a long number saw and dressing mill in upper Wakeham. On the Murdochville road, a saw mill was previously located above Beaver Dam. In 1961 South Bay Lumber opened a new building supply branch in Chandler.
Then in 1966 South Bay Lumber acquired B. Barthelot of Murdochville, wich firm eventually became known as Les Entreprises Murdochville inc., also a hardware and building supply centre wich was exclusively responsible as maintenance contractor for Gaspé Copper Mines commercial and residential buildings.
James A. Keays (Jimmy) born in Pabos began his working years (at a very young age) with Robin Jones & Whitman Co. ambitiously becoming store manager. In 1956, Jimmy obtained employement as manager of South Bay Lumber Co. and with the dedication and hard work plus company growth became general manager of the three branches in operation at time, position he held until 1971. Then 1971 Jimmy finally realized his dream and purchased South Bay Lumber
Later in the 70's and 80's he gradually transferred and sold control of the Murdochville operations to a faithful employee and further streamline company operations. In 1973, the Chandler branch was closed and consequently all business activity was concentrated in Gaspé
In 1976, the Montée Wakeham property occupied by South Bay Lumber was expropiated thus forcing the company, to move operations to another location, hence the establishing of a new modern building now located on his present site. The official opening took place in November 1976.
In 1985 South Bay Lumber opted for a name change and was renamed Bois et Matériaux Kega Cie Ltée, commonly known as "Kega". The name Kega is and remains synonymous to a hardware and building supply centre.
By 1984, increase in business led to the first expansion of our supply centre. Ten years later, in 1994, a second expansion took place to better service our customers.
After many successful years as president and owner of Kega, Jimmy physically turned over ownership and management of the business to his son Peter F. Keays. Peter has actually been operating the business
with success since 1989, He currently employs between 15 and 20 people.
- A well known Gaspesian enterprise participating in local development;
- One of the most important building material and hardware suppliers on the Peninsula;
- A very reliable company conducting business with fairness and integrity;
- Enjoying 50 years of acquired experience...
AT YOUR SERVICE